[pianotech] Shank questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu May 26 10:16:20 MDT 2011

At 10:37 -0400 26/05/2011, Tom Rhea, Jr. wrote:
>My thinking is that the diluted wood glue, once dried, would give
>additional strength and rigidity to the shanks.  The specifics of
>glue dilution, amount of pressure and time of pressurization would
>have to be worked out, but it seems plausible to me.

Neither of these tricks would make any appreciable difference.  The
only way to make a significant difference in the stiffness is to
increase the depth of the shank and then the gain in stiffness is
exponential.  Both epoxy and glue are less stiff than wood and even a
thick coating would add next to nothing to the depth.

JD