[pianotech] Shank questions

Mark S Burgett markb at pianodisc.com
Thu May 26 16:00:51 MDT 2011

Of course this company is going to try to sell you on there product.
The fact is, and I have read most of the input of the WNG shanks, the
rotational strength is quite strong on carbon shank.  Side by side I
have compared a carbon shank and a wooden shank, rotating each and I
cannot feel any more strength in either one.  Has anyone out there
intentionally broken a carbon fiber shank by twisting the hammer until
it breaks?  It is amazing how far it goes until it breaks.  The vertical
strength is the most important direction and the other important facts
about the CF shank is that it is consistency in strength which make
voicing much easier, never warps as in wood, stiffer that any wood
shanks producing more volume, very little whip so it doesn't "scrub" the
string creating better tone quality and longer sustain.  The biggest
problem I have seen is the clamping method is when cutting the shanks.
The "clamping" pressure is more dangerous than the twisting and I found
that by using a softer rubber material in the surface of the clamps will
isolate the movement of the shanks with very little pressure on the
clamp.  I used some self adhesive door insulating material which forms
around the shanks very nicely.  Hope this is helpful.