[pianotech] Warped Keybed

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 28 11:30:53 MDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 12:07 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:
> I actually got a man to make me a new keybed once. It would have held a
> train- way way overkill on a pos, but it surely worked well.

I made a key bed for a Baldwin console years ago. The "movers" (so
simple, a caveman could... oh wait, they did) had broken the corners off
the pressed cardboard key bed, leaving the legs with no attachment
points and no repair possibilities. The first guy the movers contacted
for the repair had contact cemented veneer above and below to hold it
together. Oddly, it didn't, so they brought it to me. I stacked a couple
of sheets of Baltic Birch and made a replacement that wouldn't break
(the legs would snap first). It's not as scary or difficult as it might
seem. I kind of wish I'd saved one of those repaired corners for my
"hall of shame" both for the brilliant choice of the original material,
and the sterling repair attempt.

Ron N