[pianotech] Upright Boring Angle

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 08:50:18 MDT 2011

Hello to all,
I am boring a set of hammers for a Kawaii 506N upright.  I am getting a 20 degree angle on the bass hammers.  Does this seem correct?
Also, the flange center pins are loose meaning some serious side to side movement/slide of the hammers.  The hammers are chewed up hence the replacement.  Is this loose pinning due to the plastic flange parts or is it poor quality bushing felt?  Does it come from the factory with this pinning?  Has anyone encountered this and what was the best option?  New 1/2 size larger pinning or complete re bushing?  The client is a school and money is tight.
Thanks,
Steven HoppMidland TX