[pianotech] Yamaha Spinet

Aart in America Piano Services aartinamerica at optonline.net
Sun May 29 11:39:24 MDT 2011

Hi,

Not sure if the list is still up, However i have a long time customer, who is a professional jazz Bass player.
He has a Yamaha 1970's  spinet tuned to A=440.  He uses the piano for rehearsals with his band and writing/arranging.
He tunes it twice a year May/June and December.
No AC in small city row house outside NYC. Summer is very hot and humid.
The piano fluctuates between - 20c in the winter and + 12c in the Summer.
I Tuned it  two week ago ( Lots of rain and high Humidity ) and as usual the piano was 12c sharp.
I tuned it to A=441 and he called yesterday saying that the piano is out of tune in the bass up to third octave.
This is the third call back I've had with this customer in two years. The pins are ok and I have tapped a few in over the last years.
I've advised him that maybe this piano has seen better days and he should get a better piano with a Dammp Chaser.
He and his budget say no. However I think his KB Player is expecting more form this piano then it can deliver.

I would appreciate some insight as to the pitch differential. Possibly the soundboard is expanding and contracting with the seasons?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Aart Markenstein

Aart in America Piano Company