[pianotech] variant Spring & Loop action

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Nov 9 12:25:56 MST 2011

I should have said also, that work had been done on this piano in the
past. The case was re-finished, and there had ben some work on the action.

The hammers had been nicely filed, and the hammer rest baize was not the
original.  Also, if you look at the pic (which I am sending again for
ease of reference!), it looked to me when I had the action out, that
while the buckskin and its underfelt are original, the felt that the
jack rests against in the hammer butt, is a replacement - not with felt
specific to that application, but with some kind of stitched baize.
Looking at the pic, you can see that under it, in the wood of the hammer
butt, there is a notch that is vacant. What would have been in it
originally? I don't know. Perhaps at the time of refurbishment, some
part was removed. Something that would have worked with the set-off
button/flange arrangement.

Best regards,

David.