[pianotech] help please

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 08:12:05 MST 2011

Drilling the holes is probably unnecessary and may even be
counterproductive.  There is certainly enough of a gap between the plate
bushings and the pin to allow a thin viscosity CA glue to penetrate down to
the block and spread around the base of the pin.  Drilling a hole is not
only not necessary but might actually disrupt the natural flow of the CA
around the base of the pin depending on where it is that the hole actually
penetrates through the bottom of the bushing.  Just lay the piano on its
back and forget the holes that you've just spent  all that time drilling and
with a fine needle applicator apply the CA toward the back of the pin where
there is most likely the largest gap.  Because some pooling might occur I'd
let the piano sit overnight or at least for a couple of hours before
standing it back up.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com