[pianotech] Hammer Molding Leads, Rib Alterations & Belly Rail/Rib Wedge

atrav27 at att.net atrav27 at att.net
Wed Nov 16 07:04:10 MST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Milesi" <paul at pmpiano.com>

Now, while servicing the Life Saver system, I saw that the ends of all ribs
had been "modified" (chiseled?) near the rim.  I also discovered a wedge
made of pinblock material under a rib at the belly rail towards the bass.
Isn't this inhibiting soundboard movement?  Should I remove it?
================================

My first guess for the ribs is it's damage from being placed on top of something, or during moving.
Maybe some gorilla couldn't get his hand truck out from underneath so yanked it scraping the corners
of the ribs.
Or a file cabinet in the moving truck fell against it and rattled against it all the way home.
In other words, unintentional damage.

If they for sure look intentional, then it's certainly not enough to do anything. Once again I'd
wonder if they were damaged somehow and someone was just smoothing them down to be refinished or
whatever.

If that wedge is primarily contacting the rib then I'd say the rib was re-glued and the wedge held
it. Or, that some other service was being done and the wedge helped provide access. Is the string
down bearing good? Would a wedge there have any effect? That's my only other guess for the wedge.

Could be worse, like a home where kids have daddy's tool box. ;o)

-Aron-