[pianotech] nomenclature

John R. Granholm jtuner at qwestoffice.net
Fri Nov 18 15:13:17 MST 2011

See Del Fandrich's piece in the current PTJ. Also, Anne Acker published a very comprehensive article in the Journal a year or so back about import/export regulations as they apply to keyboard instruments. You can get ivory in and out of the country without stripping it from keys -- you just have to do it the right way.

Regarding nomenclature -- A close look will show that even Piano Parts and Their Functions contradicts itself at times, because similar parts have been given different names by different manufacturers. This is particularly challenging for putting together the Journal, and we finally had to settle on a list of terms for Journal use that the editors thought made the most sense to American piano technicians.

It's a jungle out there.

John Granholm
Journal Associate Editor