[pianotech] pianos behavior

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Nov 18 15:54:39 MST 2011

Marshall,

Was this a new string replacement?  They go out right away!  You probably
know this.

You can seat the strings with the hammer shank style, but also check the
bridge pins and all termination points...hitch, agraffes, or capo, as well
as good tight coils at the tuning pin.  Those all have to be set snuggly
and happy...coils all tight, strings at the hitch pin right on the plate,
etc..  Also try tapping the bridge pins in or check for loose ones. Is
there sustain at this note? Termination points if not seated will kill
sustain, unless it's a poor hammer.  sometimes both. Otherwise, maybe the
strings/tuning pins just weren't settled in just right when you tuned it,
or the last guy..  It happens, mate. sometimes a really loud tune with the
same note played over and over and over and over...you know...

Paul