[pianotech] changing damper ring

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 19:58:26 MST 2011

A Yamaha G-2 with a QRS Pianomation 2000 and a Pioneer PD M426 disc changer has a problem with damper after ring.

I identified which dampers were ringing, (about 8) removed the action, loosened the damper wire screw and adjusted the damper wires, put the action back in and those dampers didn't ring any more.

But - other dampers were now ringing. I repeated the process, and sure enough, now a completely new set of dampers were ringing.

Some are sets of two or three next to each other, and some alone. They can be in the lower, middle, or upper sections.

I told the customer I needed to research the problem, because it didn't make any sense to me.

The rods which push up on the back of the keys have rubber tips which all seem even in height. The underside of the keys where they push up on has a 1/2 inch wool pad which seem firm enough. The sustain pedal seems to be adjusted properly. The action seems to be bedded well.

Any ideas as to why a different set of dampers seem to be ringing each time I take the action out and put it back? Do I need to adjust each damper individually like I already have on about a dozen?

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks.

Wally Scherer

A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
5020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://aftune.angelfire.com