[pianotech] piano behavior - shrinking with H20 & alcohol - list mechanics

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Nov 27 11:38:48 MST 2011

Patrick -
You, perhaps inadvertently, transposed my question.  I wasn't
suggesting alcohol-water over naphtha (sorry for previous
mis-spelling), but the other way round.  As best as I can tell,
naphtha does not contain water and is a solvent, thus, I would think
it would clean without shrinking.  As far as the manufacturer's
suggestions, isn't this a similar problem for which Wurlitzer
proposed using mineral oil and silicone?  And of course, who can
forget the manufacturers (Baldwin) suggestion as to how to deal with
black butt corfam, or whatever)?
My fairly specific question with regard to shrinking is the
effectiveness of controlling both the amount of water in the mix (as
per previous posts) and the amount of shrinking that occurs.  Why
(I'm about to do that think that Ron hates: speculate) would you
assume, or find, that shrinking positively addresses a center that is waxified?
Thanks -
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson