[pianotech] Upright price

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:48:48 MST 2011

All interesting points.

The buyer's intention is this: to have a a functioning piano for 2 pr 3
years while in graduate school, then to part with it if he moves. Furniture
value not important. Great quality not important. Functional being the key
word.

This piano is functional.

I do believe that bias, as Dean pointed out, is very important here. Not
everyone is looking for a piano that sounds great. Could it be that as more
aging pianos become available, and as the demand for beautiful pianos
decreases, the sound of an aged piano (dull, unpleasant to many ears, old,
rackety, short sustain, weak, etc.) becomes a more acceptable piano sound
to the general population? If so, then in order to offset this trend, if it
is negative, then we would take David Love's stance and focus on bringing
up the value of pianos, both monetarily and socially/musically. If. on the
other hand, it is not a negative trend but just a factual one, then there
is no problem with promoting $100 sales for the right person.

As a final note, the buyer was also talking of maybe getting the piano into
a restaurant he plays the cursed electronic keyboard in, and we discussed
what could be done to make that a reasonable possibility. I said a $1000
would go a long way, and since the case was in very good condition, he
should go for that if he feels so inclined. (As a matter of fact, I should
get down to that restaurant and sell 'em one myself right this second...)

Speaking of bias, i am certainly biased against electronic keyboards used
as a piano replacement. I would rather play a 100 yr. old piano than an
e-keyboard any day, even a high quality one. "If it ain't got that string,
it don't mean a thing."  However, you can see that this sentiment
automatically adds value to an old un-restored piano.