[pianotech] upright price

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Nov 30 05:52:46 MST 2011

Come ON, Joe.

You're not arguing the points David made.  There was never a suggestion
that a well built old upright is no good musically.  The (almost entire)
point is that the Fair Market Value of a rebuilt old upright is less than
the cost to rebuild the thing.  That doesn't mean someone won't pay it.
Obviously some have.  We (almost universally) *accept* that a well-done
rebuild of an old upright produces a very fine instrument.  What's the
beef?  The point is that the market value, in general, is not there.  So
someone has to want that particular old upright restored, and they have to
be able to accept that if it were rebuilt well, and they decided to sell
some day, they most likely won't be able to sell it for anywhere near what
they had to spend to get it rebuilt.

It doesn't mean (nor was it EVER suggested) that it's a waste of time,
should you have a paying customer.  Some folks on this list like to think
that because others of us recognize the investment folly of rebuilding old
uprights, that we disparage the instruments.  So untrue.  I love them, but
once most clients realize what it would cost to rebuild their beloved
treasure, they suddenly don't see it as such a treasure.  This holds true,
even when they are educated as to the incredible potential some of these
old beauties have.

William R. Monroe