[pianotech] replacing Steinway top action?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 18:16:59 MDT 2011

Patrick D. said: "There have been many good responses to John's query; I
would like to know
who among us has gone the WNG route? They are selling complete top actions,
assembled for under $1800 (you supply the hammers). I do realize one might
have to deal with the "Genuine Steinway Parts" propaganda, but more daring
actions have occurred "

Patrick et al,
The "Genuine Steinway Parts" is not propaganda. It's a real situation, in
that, Any Steinway Dealer has been given the word, by S&S, not to deal, (in
any way), with such pianos! For a short time, I worked for a dealer, that
gave me the straight scoop on that issue. It did not change my mind on my
assessment of certain parts that I do use and on those I do not use.<G> It
just made my job more complicated when I did stuff for that dealer.<G> As
for the WN&G action on a Steinway? Not in my world. But, there are those
that like stiff actions and impossible repair situations down the road.
It's their choice.
That's my take on that.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.