[pianotech] buzzzzing

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:49:21 MDT 2011

Marshall,

It depends on what is meant by "rebuild." In my world, rebuild means
replacing the pinblock. Check the action also. It might be that this
"rebuilt" piano was only refinished and restrung, with the original action
parts left on. Happens all the time around here.

The buzz could be almost anything. They are hard to track down sometimes.
First thing to check is on top of the soundboard underneath the plate. There
might be an object lying on top of the soundboard. One of those
rubber-coated soundboard steels from Pianotek will generally find it. Could
also be a loose bridge pin, or bad notching.

It's a long list of possibilities.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS