[pianotech] Water damaged piano

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Wed Oct 12 21:30:52 MDT 2011

Sorry for the lengthy duplication.  I just wanted to make sure everyone who has offered advice from both lists got the update.
---------------------------

Here's the update.  First of all, I did NOT plug in the Disklavier. I learned my lesson years ago about water and electricity. Don't ask... :-)

So it's a White 1990 G1R with the Disklavier and the DKW10 Control wagon. Water damage took place during the last week of August.

While the piano was on it's side, I inspected the glue joint around the rim/soundboard, as well as all the ribs. Everything actually looked pretty good on the underside. No separation, no watermarks or staining.  It looked very clean.  From the best I can tell from the water damage on the lid, the water hit the lid near the curved section and was flowing away from the action.  The only water marks I can see on the lid near the fallboard look like more of a sprinkle from water splattering nearby. Not a direct hit. I was told the piano was completely closed up before the water hit.

I Inspected the legs, and the casters are rusted and it looks like the wheels sat in about 1.5" of water.

We put the piano up and I worked my way around the strings and plate.  I couldn't find any indication that water had entered the entire area.  While there were instances of rust on a few screws on the outside of the case/legs, there was no visible indication of rust on any of the plain wire strings or the inside around the plate. All plate bolts where clean and dry and no sign of rust or water damage.

I played the piano and it felt like a normal Yamaha piano.  Every note played. They felt even and uniform.  Keys were level with each other, etc.

I pulled the action out and inspected everything I could.  The keybed looked completely dry and had no staining or indication of water entering the action cavity in any great quantities.  The back action, felt, etc. was clean and dry. The only moisture indication that I could find, were the pins on the keyslip had rusted and took some effort to get that part out of the piano, as well as the hinge hardware on the sides of the fallboard.

Other than that, there was a slight bit of rust on the long hinge on the lid of the piano. After playing, I noticed a slight green color transfer from the bass strings to the hammer felt at the strike point. It appears like a small amount of water dripped through the long hinge on the lid. I'd replace the bass strings and probably the bass damper felt.

The key drive unit in the back of the action cavity was clean and dry.  No indication of any water getting down that far at all. I checked under a couple of nuts on the thumpers (?) for moisture around the threads and it was clean and dry with no rust. No stains, no water lines, nothing...

I also checked the pinblock for any delamination and there was none.  I used a mirror and a bright light to look up at the bottom of the tuning pins expecting to see some rust, and the underside of the tuning pins were shiny and clean without any staining.

My big concern has to do with the standalone control wagon of the disklavier.  The pressed fiberboard on the back was clean and dry and didn't show any signs of swelling around the edges, however there was rust around the screws of the power supply, as well a lot of rust on the wheels on the bottom. Along with a big sticker that said do not expose to rain or moisture!  :-)

I called Yamaha and they have a replacement power supply if everything else checks out. The also have a replacement key drive unit although that is pretty expensive. All the other parts for this Disklavier model aren't available anymore.

I took lots of photos and I'll post some of them here. If anyone wants to see anything in particular, just let me know, I probably took a picture of it.  :-)

So my thoughts are to replace the bass strings, bass damper felt, possibly rebush the keys, replace keyslip pins, replace all the wheel casters, pedals and pedal rods, and the power supply on the Disklavier.

Oh, last but not least, the finish on the lid.  There are no cracks or delaminations anywhere and I couldn't find a nick in the finish anywhere for water to get in.  It looks like a good cleaning and polishing should take care of the finish.

I know this is incomplete and I'd welcome all thoughts and ideas.  :-)

Funny thing, Yamaha said to make sure it was dry but then just plug it in and see if it works.  :-)

Thanks!

Rob McCall