[pianotech] Falling piano lid (was fallen piano)

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Thu Oct 13 11:58:57 MDT 2011

Hi Wally,

Anyone who attended North Bennet St. School under Bill Garlick as I
did well remembers the story he told every class about the piano
tuner in an expensive apartment on 5th Avenue who lifted a Steinway B
lid prior to tuning in a wealthy clients home.  It slipped off the
hinges and smashed through a plate glass window and fell to the
street.  He taught us to lift the lid and move it side to side to
check that hinge pins are in place.  That story made a permanent
impression on me.

David Stanwood