[pianotech] Acetone vs. thinner

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:11:11 MDT 2011

Hi Ed.

Maybe I can help you for once!  I almost always use acetone with lacquer.
It still takes a lot of time to hear what's going on.  Over night helps,
but 24hrs still will give you more of what's going on.  I've found with
thinner that a couple days really brings things out.

Sorry.  3 hour drive?  Really sorry!  Been there done that!.  It is faster
than thinner, and I usually like the results. But it's that extra 15-20%
change you're going to hear a couple days later.  Have you ever just put a
few drops of straight acetone right on the crown?  That'll brighten right
up (given that they were dosed heavy with lacquer to start).  You'll hear
a difference in just an hour or so.  Still....a follow up will surely be
needed to needle out the brightest spots. I really don't know how that
works, but it does.  Dosing the staple area with plenty of acetone will
also force some of the lacquer up and brighten things up, but much more
subtley.

What kind of hammers are they?

Good luck!

Paul