[pianotech] can anyone identify this hardware?

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 19 16:48:22 MDT 2011

Thanks to all for your input.  I think Alan F. (roll-up pianola) and Ron N.
(vorsetzer) nailed it, and I'll admit to never encountering either of these
prehistoric critters.  Have never even heard of a 'vorsetzer' before, but it is
certainly a noble testament to human ingenuity!  And Ron, the keys don't show
unusual wear, but they ARE unusually yellowed.  I chalked that up to 127 years
of existence, though.  There is, of course, the distinct possibility that
whatever 'roll-up' mechanism interlocked with this hardware was seldom used by
the owners.  Like so many technological wonders, maybe the 'wow' factor wore off
after a few playings.  Besides, where do you STORE something like that in your
home, and how often would you bother to roll the thing out of its storage place
to revel in its wonders?  Ya gotta wonder...

I *would* like to give a nod to Larry Fisher for the most inventive and
entertaining answers/guesses.  ;~)

Mark Potter
West Jefferson, OH