[pianotech] Replacing strings and coil lifters

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Oct 24 18:49:38 MDT 2011

HOWEVER,

I have and use the CL-8 but it is weak.  The profile is nice for getting in
tight spots, but it won't put up with heavy pulling.  Yes, I know, you don't
need to pull so hard if the coil is loose, right?  Well, I find sometimes
you do.  Like when replacing a single string for example in a block where
the pins are drilled at an angle that creates a significantly obtuse angle
coming off the pin.  Tension must be maintained here all the way up to keep
the string walking down the pin to a minimum.  It is a good tool, to be
sure, but use it gently.

William R. Monroe