[pianotech] Square Grand Class?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 11:58:27 MDT 2011

William,
I should clarify some details. I have a client who has a Chickering that I
rebuilt 30 years ago. The instrument is in pristine conditon and shows how
a square grand should be, even after that period of time, (with normal
playing during that period of time, as well), and regular maintainence. I,
personally, own another Chickering, in decrepit condition, having been
rescued from a Movie Studio Storage facility. Having the two, side by side,
as prime examples of what can and should be done, would be the center of
the class. Each, providing the impetus for discussion and learning. What
I'm trying to find out is, if there is enough interest to justify, either a
national class or a private seminar. I doubt that my client would allow his
beloved Chickering to be shipped off to Chicago or Atlanta or ???!!!<G>
Also, I would like to video the entire thing, for posterity. If it were a
National, I'd make the DVD available for the Home Office Store. If a
private, then the DVD would be sold privately.
Well, that's the thumbnail sketch of what I propose.
Joe

pianotech at ptg.org <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Date: 10/27/2011 10:41:26 AM
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Square Grand Class?
>
> Joe,
>
> I would be interested, but I'd love to see it at an annual. If not
Bellevue, then Chicago or Atlanta.  Annual is my one big skills development
trip for the year, and I doubt I could make an independent venture work for
me.

> William R. Monroe
>
> On Oct 27, 2011, at 11:23 AM, "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> > All,
> > I proposed an all day Square Grand Class for the Bellvue Convention,
that
> > would cover all that is needed to know, to, intellgently/skillfully
work on
> > these beasts.Over the years, I've had to re-invent a whole lot of
> > techniques for square grands, as nothing was written down, as far as
I've
> > been able to find. Because of this, I made the proposal.
> > "No", was the decision. I suspect that lack of interest was the reason
for
> > the decision. Or, possibly, time constraints. Either way, it won't be
> > given.
> > Many techs have spent much time on the phone, with me, discussing the
> > various techniques needed to tune, rebuild and maintain Square Grands.
I am