[pianotech] Chicago Radio Ads

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Mon Oct 31 11:09:18 MDT 2011

The touch seven rule is the key in repetition.  Start listening to the most annoying ads you can stand and count how many times they say the company name.  One ad that comes to mind is where the guy is yelling his information and either the phone number or the same words are said over and over.  “Nationwide Warehouse, Nationwide Warehouse!!”.  Count how many time you hear that in the ad and I think you’ll find it’s usually seven times.  And then there’s the one about debt reduction that starts with a phone number.  Count the number of times they say the number.

Radio ad salespeople are full of answers to the most asked questions.  They’re trained to watch for the most asked and have answers on the tips of their tongues that make radio advertising sound like a worthy investment.  It’s somewhat the same as the cop that is in the process of writing you a speeding ticket.  No, it’s not a worthy investment, but most often they lead you to ask or comment so that they can use their responses to get you to comply.  (it’s been a few years however)  An image that passes through my mind as they chatter endlessly on is one of the busy person that has the radio on for background and tunes out the ads anyway.  I see dollars leaving the radio and floating upwards through the air.  As the salesperson rattles on I see the mouth moving with blurred vision but my mind is off kayaking through some really peaceful areas.

Another concept is to create a need.  Suggest to the listener that they have a problem, then offer a solution that they MUST deal with right away.  For instance, “Did you know that on average, 880% of households with pianos that are out of tune, have more stress and debt than those with properly cared for pianos??  In those same households, we found children with fewer brain cells and larger more muscular thumbs.  It’s been found that the best way to fix THUNDER THUMBS is to have your piano tuned.”  From here you promote healthy brain development in a growing child by owning and properly caring for a piano.  To include the geriatric bunch you could also say that an active piano playing brain is a good way to keep from getting Alzheimer's  (reducing one’s aluminum intake is key here but we don’t have to say that).

I get asked to place ads with HS football game schedules or on air ads during breaks in the game.  Athletics and music are at odds with each other when it comes to school district funding.  On one side you have huge dominant beef eaters that speak aggressively and have lots of body language, while on the other side you have flower tossing vegetarians citing facts and figures trying to get their side heard just as loudly.  It’s a bit entertaining to watch.  The ad agencies don’t get my money on this one.

If you could focus your radio ads with the following, I’d think they’d have the most impact.

..........  abruptly cut to the ad after the end of the piece being played.  No further commentary by the announcer until after the ad series is finished.  Interrupting the applause (if any) is a good attention getter.  Cutting to the ad less than a second after the end of the piece is a good one as well.
..........  sponsor or co-sponsor an on air piano event of some kind.
..........  repeat the same ad, word for word, and use the touch seven rule.  I know it’s annoying, but it works.
..........  Ads at the top of the hour should be saved for major corporations.  They can afford to throw money at annoying people as they walk through the house to use the bathroom or go get a snack from the fridge.  Keep the ads in the middle of the performance/show.
..........  promote the performance/show prior to the event with radio schedule advertising.  This should be at the expense of the radio station.  This is where the station promotes itself by letting people know of a future event to promote listeners.  This could be a shared expense if the piece was ended with “brought to you by ....” or “sponsored by ......” or “promotional considerations by ...  “.

All these ingredients should be in the ad contract.  Yes, a contract.  Nothing verbal.  Everything on paper.

In summation, printed ads leave the recipient with something to hold on to and perhaps start the evening fire with.  Radio ads don’t.  Once the ad has aired it’s over .......  kinda like fireworks.  I don’t buy either.

I’m curious to know of the results from the Chicago area.  Thank you for notifying us of your progress.

Lar