[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

Jim Coleman jcpanoman at colemantools.com
Thu Sep 1 07:28:15 MDT 2011

Matthew,

 First, you wrote, "I'd be up over $200 for a standard tuning service."  If
you were doing something on the order of a full service on your visit, that
is tuning, some minor voicing, regulation touch-up, etc, you would be in the
ball bark.
PTG's dues are a bargain!  We provide a sort of full service.....available
to almost 4,000 members around the world.  If we did not keep the dues in
line with increasing costs, and improving our 'service' to the membership
you would, in time, have no educational resources, no Journal (worth the
dues by it's self!), no website, no adequate Home Office building or
personnel, the RCOs would be on their own and eventually disappear, no
Annual Convention, etc.
The teaching and learning of new and better ways to service our clients
would possibly revert back 60 years or so to the way it was when my
grandfather was in the business and teaching my dad. They did not want to
share any secrets with an 'outsider' lest they make more money
or take away any of their customers.
I can guarantee you that my dad nor I would be who or what we are today
without PTG. And where would many of today's technicians be without my dad,
LaRoy Edwards, Norm Neblett, Web Phillips, Al Sanderson, and so many other
giants in the world of piano technology.

So, to you Matthew and the other members on this list, if you want to be all
you can be as a piano technician, get seriously involved in
PTG.   If you haven't challenged the tests, DO IT !  Get involved in your
chapter, be a delegate to council! Run for office!
Who knows you could be president of PTG some day.

So much to say and so little time.

Jim Coleman, Jr
Proud to be an RPT