[pianotech] Electronic Keyboards - NOT "pianos"!!

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 02:25:39 MDT 2011

Electric pianos have their place, and do serve a purpose, as Jerry and David mentioned. But here is some information I give customers who want to buy one of them

The tech rep for a major piano manufacturer gave a technical once where he said that his company invents a new electrictronic keyboard every 10 months, and once it's made, it's obsolete after 18 months. Once a model is made, the instrument is guaranteed for only a year, and the manufacturer is not obligated to keep spare parts around for longer than that. In humid climates, like here in Hawaii, the electric components rust out after three - five years. But since the parts for these things are no longer available, the instrument become useless.

On the other hand, I can repair a hundred year old piano with past I have in my tool box.

Wim Blees, RPT
Hawaii