[pianotech] Acoustic vs. digital - there's the question!

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:17:01 MDT 2011

 >If your priorities are
composing software, practicing with headphones, etc., then the new digitals
can be fantastic. William R. Monroe<

Hi Bill - I understand fully the strong points of digital instruments. When
my youngest daughter was a music major at Iowa State, moving each year from
dorm room to dorm room, I swallowed my pride and went with her to a store in
Des Moines and helped her pick out a nice Roland electric keyboard. It did
what she needed - it would record what she played for play-back. She could
play it with her head phones on. It had all the voices she needed for
composition, etc., etc.

Now, however, she's married, has twin one-year olds and a full-time job, and
when she does take a break at the end of the day to sit down to play, it's
on the restored Gulbransen-Dickenson upright I gave to her. The Roland is in
an upstairs room with a cover over it and stacks of boxes on top that
testify to the fact that it is never played.

Which for me, is very satisfying.  Best wishes, Chuck