[pianotech] Damper Bushing Lubrication? or not?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 3 10:34:39 MDT 2011

Ryan,
I agree about the Teflon, to a point. If you use the "micro-fine" dry powder, it is very messy, imo. However there is a product that is in a spray can: Elmers Slide All, (made by Bordens). I buy that stuff by the case of 12. I use it in a lot of applications. It is Teflon, suspended in alcohol. The propellant is air. However, be aware that the alcohol suspension tends to make felt swell up as it helps the Teflon penetrate. This can be used to an advantage. In the case of the damper rail bushings, I don't think that is a good place to use it. As for the Protek stuff.  I don't use it! It will attrack dust, which will cause problems down the road. I've found that a dry metal to felt bearing works the best in terms of longevity. However, that is predicated on a good, initial, fit.<G> The same goes for trapwork and all else in the piano. Yes, Protek will get you out the door, but the reality is, you should repin/ream/rebush/whatever, for a better, lasting function. That's my take on it.
Joe