[pianotech] balance hole break-loose noise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 3 13:25:24 MDT 2011

On 9/3/2011 9:15 AM, Alan Eder wrote:

> Has anyone else ever had this problem? Thoughts about possible remedies?

I've used Elmers white glue for this for a long time after getting
unwanted noise with hide glue or Titebond.. It's the only good use I've
ever found for the stuff. I've never had it make noise, so I don't have
a fix. I'd start with Teflon powder. What were the key pins lubricated
with, and what are the odds it transferred to the balance hole before
you replaced the pins? Maybe spinning a bit of steel wool in the hole
will break the surface up a bit and give the Teflon something to fill.

I've found this noise a lot in new Yamahas. Skritch on the first
keystroke, and quiet on subsequent strokes. Let it sit for five minutes,
and the skritch is back. Easing without lubrication typically worked for
that.

Ron N