[pianotech] Acoustic vs. digital - there's no question!

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 05:51:31 MDT 2011

>Chuck, I love your method of demonstrating the difference!  Not quite so
easy, perhaps, with the beat-up old birdcage. And yet, in my experience,
even the beat-up old birdcage has the pleasure factor (the physical
aspects that you describe so well) which the digital instrument does not. -
David Boyce<

David - The key is to make the demonstration after the piano has been tuned.
If you do this with an untuned piano, the effects are less than stellar.

Actually, the whole question of switching to digital, when it's brought up,
seems to usually occur after the piano is tuned, and we're discussing the
date of the next tuning. So, it's not a problem. Takes a few moments to open
the piano back up, and after the difference has been demonstrated, we
usually go ahead and book the date for the next tuning.

As far as bird-cage actions, I'm fortunate in that respect in that here in
central Iowa, they're as rare as hen's teeth. Chuck