[pianotech] Baldwin grand repetition spings

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Sep 6 09:53:10 MDT 2011

I'm with Ryan on this.  First suspect is too heavy hammers.  Second is
geometry (e.g. poor choice of knuckle position).  But as Barb said, you need
to get some more info first.  Both UW & DW are needed at a minimum, Then I
would sample a dozen or so Strike Weights (a la Stanwood), then also, check
the geometric action ratio using a partial dip block at the key (minimum
6mm) and see how much hammer rise you get for the [6mm] key movement at the
front.  Divide the hammer rise by the dip for a ratio.  That info together
will tell you much more about your situation.

William R. Monroe