[pianotech] Upright action bracket height puzzler

algiers_piano at bellsouth.net algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 6 10:22:47 MDT 2011

I have seen a couple of odd situations like this. One was a Yamaha console that it turned out had been dropped. The keybed was not in the right place. It all had to be repositioned and glued back together. The other was a similar model Kawai to yours but the problem was the exact opposite, the treble end of the action was in the wrong place, hammers hitting above the nut. Lost motion was so extreme that it seemed like there was no dip, the keys were falling forward. I never figured out how it got that way but I just lowered the support brackets (leaving the bass where it was) until I got the treble strike point where I wanted. The nose bolts got bent to match and amazingly the regulation fell right into place. I think about 4 hours did it. The keybed was solidly attached and the case was fine.

---Dave Doremus