[pianotech] Balance hole repair-a bunch of other stuff<G>

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 14:04:46 MDT 2011

John P. said: "It may have already been mentioned, but Schaff has a kit
called
Key-Craft (Part number 258) for around $25 that rebuilds the balance
rail hole.

-John,
My take on that is: I used it once, "as advertised". The "washers" are a
type of "fiber board" and are harder'n all gitout! Result....Noisy keys,
unless absolutely perfectly fitted to the pins. Then there's the issue of
what glue to hold the "washers" in with. The cutter for that thing is
adequate.However, you will need to figure out how to sharpen it, as that is
needed on a regular basis! I finally made my own hardwood dowels to that
exact size. Drilled down the center and sliced off enough to go into each
hole. Phew! I could have made a new set of keys for the amount of time I
used up making that thing work, "as advertised"!<G> The previous system
mentioned,(I forget who has them for sale), is a far better thing, albeit,
quite a bit more expensive. I do not have one, but am thinking about adding
it to my arsenal, as I've heard good reports about how it works.<G>
That's my take on that.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police