[pianotech] Pulley Keys

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 14:44:29 MDT 2011

Hi Joe,

spend some time with scissors and whack up a bunch as needed. I've tried to
find a paper shredder that would do that laborious job, but all are too
wide for our uses.

For years, I have used an electric envelope opener (from a stationary store, designed to remove a slim edge of an envelope). Repeated passes of that shipping tape you mentioned results in many appropriately sized pieces of traveling paper whose length is the width of the tape roll. More recently, I saw a very small and inexpensive hand-cranked paper shredder, just the right width for said packing tape (go figure: to train future secretaries from a tender young age?). The one I saw is in Richard Davenport's shop. It arrived without explanation, save a return address from Mark Adams (San Diego area), apparently the latest installment in their on-going game of "What the heck is this thingee, and how might it apply to piano work?"

FWIW,

Alan Eder