[pianotech] Abrasions in polyester finish

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:31:05 MDT 2011

Paul,
If you are thinking about using black tinted auto polish like Back to
Black, I dis-recommend it. It is not very black and it will fill the
scratches with grey wax that will not look much better than the
scratches. If you are willing to spend 30 minutes and impress this new
customer and likely get some referrals for other similar jobs, I would
fine sand it out and polish it. It will look great with not that much
effort.

I have gotten a lot of easy finish repair work by doing just that. In
fact, after doing a French polish repair on an upright S&S, the owner
asked me to do dent and scratch work and French polish on 14 antiques
in her house. That was a full days work but paid better than most
piano work.

It looks like I will be doing a workshop in Seattle on French
polishing. stay tuned.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc