[pianotech] after ring

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Sep 8 15:31:51 MDT 2011

Ed,
 First off we don't know if this a grand or vertical or what size.
Does the ring a sound like an open string vibrating sympathetically or an "escaping" higher partial ?
The first thing that comes to mind is that the pedal is holding a few dampers off the strings. Push the string away from the damper to confirm that every damper head  is following the string. Make it ring and touch each unison and that might isolate the problem.Make it ring then place both hands over the entire bass string section.  If it's a vertical make it ring then block off several unisons at the start of the tenor section. You've perhaps seen the old Steinway uprights and some Yamaha studio pianos with aux. damper(s) in that section . Also check the back scale string segments .
Just guessing here cause' you got the ears on the scene.
Have fun,
 Tom Driscoll