[pianotech] Acrilykey

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:04:49 MDT 2011

A while back I was doing quite a lot of acrylikey repairs on ivory and
some on plastic.
I agree that it is harder to match plastic, especially the pure white
stuff. The white bottle is not white enough. Here are three tips for
using the material.

1.  I took a used ivory tail and ground 7 notches in the edge and made
a color test strip by varying the amounts of white and beige coloring:
 all white, 3:1, 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, and all beige.  It is the same
way your dentist would check the color of your tooth when making a
crown. It takes much of the guesswork out of it.

2.   I got some 1/8 inch thick polyethylene from Small Parts.com and
made some square blocks as wide and high as the front of the key. I
tape one of these under the overhanging  ivory to keep the resin from
slumping  or falling off before it sets. the polyethylene will not
stick to the acrylikey resin. It gives a nice clean square edge under
the overhang. I have been able to replace the entire overhang using
this technique.

3. I find the resin in the kit sets up too fast to do much sculpting.
I found that medium viscosity CA glue works great as the resin and is
readily available. The dollar store type in  small tubes seemed to
have a nice viscosity and set time. The more expensive kinds set too
quickly.   I know this sounds like some kind of heresy, but
cyanoacrylic turns into acrylic plastic when it sets and that is the
same as the resiin in the kit as far as I can see.  Anyway, I like it
better and after 4 years, I have never had a repair fail or chip out.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc