[pianotech] sticking Wrully keys

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Sat Sep 10 00:19:36 MDT 2011

Wim, My own experience on Kimball verticals of the 70's was this.  The spoons had some green abrasive stuff on the spoons.  They came from the factory this way.  It wasn't corrosion but it looked sprayed on.  The abrasion wore a hole in the damper lever felt.  And then some of the spoons kept getting caught in their own hole.

I suggest that something like this also happened in the Wurlitzer.  When you took out the lost motion, the spoon hit the damper lever a little sooner and thus went as little deeper into the hole, thereby exacerbating the issue.  What would have happened on its own in a few years was accelerated into happening now.  It was not something caused by you, but exposed by you.