[pianotech] re; Acrylikey

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 10 18:17:34 MDT 2011

Laura said: "OK. Here's my question. How does this wear? The texture is
somewhat different from the original. Does it pick up dirt over time?"

Laura,
Since I've been using it for a really long time, I can say it lasts a
Looooo nnnnnngggg time. However, there were versions that tend to turn more
and more yellow as they age! Yikes! I ran that past Richard and he blamed
it on olde Monamer. If you have a really picky client, the stuff can be
removed and replaced. The texture difference is usually caused by not
following the mixing instructions...i.e. too much powder and not enough
monamer. BTW, Since the powders have an indefinate shelf life and we use so
little of it, you need to get more monamer from time to time. It is
available from Pianotec, but I recommend you get it from Beauty Supply
places ...at less than half of what Pianotec charges.<G> Tell them what
it's for and they have it in various sized quantities. IF the stuff is
evaporating out of the container it came in. Get a Lab grade bottle from
your local Pharmacy. (that is what Richard used originally and I've not had
any problems with evaporation. I use the monomer to clean out the measuring
cups and the tools, so I do go through a bunch of it.
Hope that helps.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police