[pianotech] Acrylikey Monomers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 12:38:59 MDT 2011

Ryan said:
"Joe,
I do not recommend using off the shelf monomer with Acrylikey. They are not
all the same and may not be compatible. Although I have purchased acrylic
powder and monomer from beauty supply stores, it is safest to use products
that are from the same manufacturer and are designed to be used together. I
had good success with "No lift Nails" brand. I once tried using an off the
shelf monomer with Acrylikey powder and the results were not good."

Ryan,
Hmmm? That used to be the case when the original and 2nd generation powders
were used. The final generation powders will work with just about any
monomer, as long as it is FRESH, (or reasonably so). Monomers have shelf
life issues. Since I've been into the Acrylikey thang, from the very
beginning, I think I can speak with authority on the subject. However, if
Pianotec has changed anything, then all bets are off.<G>
Originally, Richard made the off white and amber powders himself. He did
this by painting on panes of glass and then scraping it off and mincing it
into powder, (albeit course), with a razor blade.  Finally, he found some
companies that made similar powders. He experimented incessantly until he
found the best powders to use. I still have some of the various "Beta
powders". Some were good others had issues. In other words, it depends on
what generation of powders you tried that on. It's not really all that
complicated. Yes, there can be compatability issues if you have a really
olde kit. If the powders you have come in little glass vials with lids,
then you will have problems with any monomer.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I