[pianotech] Petrof vertical string breakage.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 20 07:15:56 MDT 2011

On 9/20/2011 6:29 AM, Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft wrote:
> I have been servicing a 2001 Petrof vertical since 2006 with no
> problems. In Aug 2010 my customer called and thought a string may have
> broken. It had and I replaced the string (#14 1/2) and tuned the piano.
> I tuned the piano again in Jan 11 & May 11 everything looked good (by
> the way, he is the only player and plays only classical music). I just
> got a call that a string has broken again and he thinks it may be the
> same one.

May be, or one next to it. Time to go see for yourself and get a
demonstration of playing style.

> This piano has agraffes throughout. Any thoughts or suggestions? And if
> it is the same string should I go with one size smaller?

A different size string, at a given length and pitch, will be at
essentially the same break% as the original. You won't gain anything
except fresh wire and will have a size mismatch in the unison for added
tuning fun.

What note, what speaking length, so the break% of the original can be
determined?
Ron N