[pianotech] Petrof vertical string breakage.

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 12:50:51 MDT 2011

Al

When a string breaks at the pin or hitch pin, it's usually a weak string. When it breaks at the agraff, it's usually hard playing. Do you remember where this string was broken? As Jerry mentioned, the guy might be practicing a particular piece of music where that note is hit repeatedly. One suggestion is to check the voicing on that particular note. It might be a little softer that the others around it, and the pianist is hitting that note a little harder to create a louder sound, this putting more strain on the string.

Wim