[pianotech] String breakers - was Petrofs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 21 07:33:57 MDT 2011

Joe gently mentioned scaling and general piano design in regards to
chronic string breakers. The music teacher at a school I used to tune
for continually broke strings on his P22 and his Steinway grand, but
never on his little old decrepit Gulbransen. He asked why. I told him
the Gulbransen action was badly enough designed and far enough out of
regulation to absorb most of the abuse he heaped on it before the it
ever reached the strings.

Bottom line is, most chronic string breakage, and all chronic string
breakage in multiple pianos is caused by pathologically deviant
technique and attitude in the "pianist". I still maintain that no amount
of counseling, no level of amplified monitoring, no regulation or
voicing modification, and no design changes not involving severe loss of
function will EVER change this. It's a psychological thing; a vice (as
opposed to a vise), and is fed by the damage done, whatever it takes to
effect that damage. The only hope I see is to make the responsible party
monetarily responsible for the damage repairs, however extensive. A vice
that someone else picks up the tab on isn't going to go away.

Ron N