[pianotech] Loose hammer felt

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Sep 24 12:47:36 MDT 2011

Tom

I've got a lot of those loose hammer felts here in Hawaii, primarily on Baldwin Pianos. I've super glued the hammers. Squirt the glue on the felt, shoot it with the kicker, and then use vice grips to clamp it down. Let it sit for about a minute, and it's done.

Having said that, however, it's not a perfect solution. The problem is that you can only glue the ones that are loose, and then only the side that is loose. After you glue the loose side, the other side will come loose. Sometimes right after you glued the loose side, but most of the time it comes loose after you've put the action back in, and collected you money. Eventually, all the hammers wil need to be glued.

The other problem is with the sound. Even though the felt is glued back on the molding, the felt is not tight anymore, and the tone is softer than the other hammers.

So I am now recommending a new set of hammers. It's more expensive, but a long lasting solution to the problem.

Wim