[pianotech] Fallen Piano

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:32:07 MDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dude! So glad no one got hurt.
>
> I never check for screws in the legs. Always have assumed people with at
> least half a brain are moving pianos. Guess that's no longer a good
> assumption. That could make a very flat a** out of you and me. :-)
>
> --
>  John Formsma, RPT
> Blue Mountain, MS
>

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Noah Frere <noahfrere at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this happened...
>> In slow motion the piano toppled like the tree that it once was, and I
>> have a vague mempry of "No no no no no..." coming from me...
>> It all turned out well though. The corner was barely scuffed!
>> Beats me how there were NO SCREWS in the leg. Brother.
>> Oh - plus there is wax in the action...
>> Fun appointment!

I have no pics, last Friday we brought a 6'2" Apollo into the shop for
action work prior to sale, we were setting it up on it's 2 legs when the
nose leg dowel snapped and the bolts pulled out of the keybed at the right
corner collapsing it to the floor!
A previous person had scabbed in a piece of 1/2" plywood with construction
adhesive where the bolts attach & used 3/8"lag bolts that didn't reach
beyond it!
The piano landed on the leg, saving the trapwork. The dowel that snapped in
the nose leg was pine! I replaced it with a turned down(on a lathe) shovel
handle of hickory or ash!
I copied the scabbed in pieces(there was another on the opposite side for
the other leg to screw into)from an old pinblock, resawed it to fit on the
bandsaw & glued 7 screwed it in place, the piano is now standing place!
Oh, I also replaced the legbolts with longer 1/2" bolts.

Mike
--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404