[pianotech] theory question

Will Wickham wwickham at stny.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 21:06:55 MDT 2011

Hi Wim,

A "6" under the bass clef indicates that the note in the bass line is the third of the triad which also indicates that the triad built on that bass note is in "first inversion". I'm assuming that the 6 is over the 4 in your second question which indicates that the note in the bass line is the fifth of the triad which also indicates that the triad built on that bass note is in "second inversion". Any notes that have no numbers under them indicate that the triad is in root position. Other numbers under the bass line refer to various inversions of a seventh chord and/or suspensions and other non-chord tones.

Hope that helps!
will wickham
Working to make the world sound better one string at a time!