[pianotech] interesting situation with a tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:17:58 MDT 2011

Marshall,

It's possible it's your technique.

We are going through weather changes from summer to fall. It could be
related to humidity changes. You can tune a piano at 50% relative humidity.
If the relative humidity goes down to 35%, the tuning will change in a
couple of weeks. Usually the unisons will be pretty good, but everything
else is off.

I've tuned Kawai pianos with pins that felt like that. Tuning the first one
(years ago) was difficult. But with experience, you learn to adapt to just
about anything.

What I would do, and have done, for that situation, is return to check on
the tuning. If it has changed a lot, it's probably due to the humidity
changes. Like Wim said, you can be a nice guy, or a nasty one. I generally
am a nice guy for the first one, and don't charge for that situation. Do try
to explain why pianos go out of tune. Hand out brochures, Piano Life Saver
literature, etc.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS