[pianotech] interesting situation with a tuning

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:53:58 MDT 2011

Stability and pin setting are the most challenging aspect of tuning. I've
been at this seriously for almost 20 years and still feel like every year I
get a little better. I thought I was hot stuff in my 20's but looking back
I'm sure I was fairly mediocre.

On a call back there are certain things the piano will tell you in regards
to your stability. If the overall octaves and temperament are even, but just
the unisons are mainly out, I would say the tuner is possibly at fault. If
the octaves have changed - especially between the bass and tenor sections
then humidity is surely to blame. Indoor temperature has very little to do
with it. Clients are often proud that they keep the temperature in the piano
room the same throughout the year, and are surprised that it makes no
difference - the piano will still go out of tune with the weather changes
outside.

That colder air in the winter can't hold much moisture. When you bring it
inside and warm it up, it can become very dry and really suck the moisture
out of the piano. Even in a mild climate like the Pacific NW, pianos can
drop 20 cents or more between summer and winter.

One of the most challenging stability situations is with high friction in
the strings between the tuning pin and the speaking length. I often
lubricate the strings with Protek to help them glide over under-string felt.
I'm not sure how a blind person would manage that - perhaps enlisting help
from the client would be in order.

Keep finding mentors that you can rely on to help you along. This is a
life-long learning process. That's what keeps int interesting!

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter