[pianotech] bridge pin drill speeds

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Sep 30 19:05:39 MDT 2011

Hi Will,

I've drilled with a foredom tool for a while now, and like it a lot.  I
don't use a jig to set the angle, but drill by hand instead.  Once I get a
few unisons in, it's been relatively easy for me to maintain a consistent
angle.  If you had to pick one RPM setting, 2500 is about right, IMO.  With
the foredom, I have always connected it to the variable speed accessory so I
can adjust the RPM to a workable speed.  I suppose in theory I should be
using a slightly slower speed with the larger size drills, but I haven't
found it necessary.  I adjust the speed of the drill at the treble end, and
keep it there for the whole of both bridges.  I have a pneumatic drill that
operates at 2600 RPM, and based upon observation I'd say that's about where
I have the foredom tool set (the foredom tool is adjustable on a dial scale
1-10 which is relatively informative, but precisely useless.  ;-]   )

I've have burned a few holes (and bits) in the past while trying to find the
optimal speed, and if memory serves, it doesn't take much above 3500 RPM to
be problematic.

I'm surprised that the pneumatic hose seems unwieldy to you.  If you go
pneumatic, the small diameter, lightweight polyurethane coil hoses work well
if you suspend them above the piano (or in your case, workbench since you'll
be out of the piano).  Combine that with a small high speed pneumatic drill
and you're golden.  Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneumatic-CP7300R-4-Inch-Reversible/dp/B000NP0RC8

William R. Monroe