[pianotech] dues payment fiasco

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Wed Feb 1 20:42:27 MST 2012

David, et all,

David, unfortunately Horace is completely correct and .............

with my many years of IT experience, anything that is developed under Windows (and IE) will only be supported and
working under Windows (and IE). AKA, probably HL.

Whereas, mailman, was an "open source" movement product, developed under Linux and - just - works !

In Linux, there are no "proprietary" rules and regulations to be forced to use by MS.

Plus, for those that don't know, Linux has called "distributions" (flavors, if you will, Red Hat, Ubuntu, openSUSE,
etc). Each "distro" has a - collection - of different software - written and controlled by thousands of people all over
the world. Each distro is made up of a "base" collection of "packages" - that HAVE TO PLAY NICE TOGETHER without MS's
forced control - and each one having it's own installation, controlling and maintenance software. So you pick a
"distro", try it, customize it to your likeness - or - move on to another distro, until you find one you like. The "key"
is that all the underlying "packages" are - the same - and will play nicely with almost anything.

MAJOR - MS FORCING YOUR HAND::     There will never be an IE 9 for XP (8/16/10)

A good example of MS and Windows control:

My brother-in-law - was - into Real Estate and he  HAD to use a CERTAIN version of Windows and a CERTAIN version of IE.
That was because the software company did not what to BOTHER rewriting and fixing code for all the changes that MS & IE
was throwing at them. Since my brother-in-law was complacent and didn't want to rock the boat, I called the company and
read the the riot act about their software NOT working properly under Firefox (at the time, under Windows). They keep
back and said that their department was getting cut and they didn't have the time and expertise to work with Firefox. I
reminded them that Firefox is rapidly gaining ground and that they need to get on the ball and provide support. They
called me back (which was a shocker) and said that they have tracked there help logs and found enough complaints that
they are going to HAVE to support it - in the near future.

Bottom line, I see HL developed under Windows and IE - so guess where it is going to work the "best" <grin>

Which IMHO, the "open source" movement is gaining ground by leaps and bounds. People are - finally - getting tired of
MS's control.

To make the "sting" a little sharper - there is a very high chance you iPad, iPhone, etc are running a customized
version of Linux. I bet these devices don't need to get booted as often as your Desktop / Laptop. <grin>

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years