[pianotech] Ballistol as a rust inhibitor was blackening rusty tuning pins

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:02:30 MST 2012

To respond to Joe Goss' comment about Ballistol use on bass string.

I DO NOT recommend using Ballistol on bass strings. Any oil, or any
other product for that matter, can dull the sound of bass strings.
Also, it will dissolve the copper tarnish on the bass strings and will
transfer the blue copper salts to the dampers. My recommendation was
to use it on rusty steel strings, not bass strings. Sorry for any
confusion there.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc